- Firstly, Is Your Carpet or Rug Considered High Pile?
- Features to Look for in a Vacuum for High-Pile Carpeting
- Best Vacuums for High-Pile Carpeting 2018 - Comparison table
- 1 Soniclean Soft Carpet Vacuum Cleaner
- 2 Hoover Vacuum Cleaner T-Series WindTunnel Pet Rewind Bagless Corded Upright Vacuum
- 3 Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional NV356E
- 4 Oreck LW100 Magnesium SP Bagged Upright Vacuum
- 5 Miele Complete C3 Marin Canister Vacuum Cleaner - Corded
- 6 Dyson 206900-01 Ball Multi Floor Upright Corded Vacuum
- Your Step-by-Sep Guide to Carpet Cleaning
- Additional Tips and Tricks for Carpet Cleaning
- Final Words
Firstly, Is Your Carpet or Rug Considered High Pile?
Most vacuums are designed for low-pile and medium-pile carpeting—fibers that are shorter than half an inch. Should you choose to use these vacuums on your high-pile carpeting, you can expect inefficient cleaning in the best-case scenario. However, you are risking damage to your rug. Some of the reasons you need a vacuum designed for this type of carpeting include:
- The longer the fiber, the harder it is to reach the base of the carpeting. While strong suction can potentially pull this out, that suction can cause another issue.
- Powerful suction offered by most vacuums can damage high-pile fibers. The longer the fiber, the weaker it is, and strong suction will cause the fibers to pull apart, frizz, and can even end up pulling them out of the carpet backing.
- Most vacuums use beater bars and brushes to clean. When these are used on high-pile carpeting, the fibers are frizzed by the brush and become caught in the beater car, hurting the carpet and the machine.
- And the final big consideration with plush carpeting is that the pile makes it more difficult to wheel vacuums through it. For example, while it is a great brand, Dyson is hard to push on thick carpeting.
All of these issues with high pile carpeting may make you feel like your best bet is to replace it, but we promise that it is a much better deal to simply purchase a vacuum designed to handle it. This way you will spend less money and still get to enjoy the look and comfort your high-pile carpeting offers. To help you make your purchase, let’s take a look at the features a quality vacuum for plush carpet should offer.
Features to Look for in a Vacuum for High-Pile Carpeting
Because of the thickness of high-pile carpeting, small wheels tend to become stuck. This then causes strain on you as you fight with the machine or even carry it around rather than wheeling it. To combat this, purchase a vacuum with larger wheels.
While you might think that powerful suction is needed to get the job done, gentle suction can clean just as well and will do so without harming the fibers of your carpeting. This will extend the life of your carpet.
No or Controlled Beater Bar or Brush
Beater bars and brushes are ideal for low-pile and medium-pile carpeting, but not a good choice for high-pile carpeting. To care for your plush carpet, opt for models without beater bars and brushes or that allow you to clean without using them.
The thicker the carpet and the longer the fiber, the easier it is for dirt and debris to get stuck in the carpet. You will want a vacuum with an air filter to ensure that as this dirt and debris is pulled out, it is not just sent right back out into the air.
Heavy vacuums can prove problematic with any style of carpeting, but if your carpets are high pile, heavier vacuums will sink into the fibers and make it much easier for it to become stuck. It might not damage the vacuum or the carpet, but it does put undue strain on your body.
Are there other features to look for? That will depend on your needs and the needs of your home. Perhaps you need an adjustable vacuum designed to work on many types of flooring, or one with a long cord if you have few outlets. However, the features above are what you need in any vacuum for high-pile carpeting.
Best Vacuums for High-Pile Carpeting 2018 - Comparison table
There are thousands of vacuums on the market that can handle high-pile carpeting. Because of this, searching for the right one for you can feel overwhelming. To help, we have compared the best models designed for high-pile carpeting and narrowed them down to the top five choices based on the criteria above. Let’s take a look.
Beater Bar or Brush?
|Soniclean Soft Carpet Vacuum Cleaner|
|⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ★ Yes, but specifically designed for high-pile carpet||Yes, a HEPA filter||Yes, 10.5 pounds|
|Hoover Vacuum Cleaner T-Series WindTunnel Pet Rewind Bagless Corded Upright Vacuum|
|Yes, but it features five levels of adjustment|
Somewhat, 17.8 pounds
|Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional NV356E|
|Yes, but you can turn it off|
Yes, a HEPA filter
Yes, 13.7 pounds
|Oreck LW100 Magnesium SP Bagged Upright Vacuum|
|Yes, but it is designed to work with high-pile carpeting|
|Miele Complete C3 Marin Canister Vacuum Cleaner - Corded|
|Yes, but you can adjust it|
Yes, a HEPA filter
Somewhat, 19.4 pounds
|Dyson 206900-01 Ball Multi Floor Upright Corded Vacuum|
|Yes, but it self-adjusts depending on the surface|
Somewhat, 17.3 pounds
Our customer often prefer the following products when searching for Vacuum For Plush Carpet.
1 Soniclean Soft Carpet Vacuum Cleaner
If you have a significant amount of plush carpeting in your home, you should consider a vacuum specifically made for high-pile carpeting. While it may not offer the flexibility other models will, a specialty vacuum will ensure your carpeting is well-cared for. One such vacuum is the Soniclean Soft Carpet Vacuum Cleaner.
- Specifically for plush carpeting
- Does offer some flexibility
- Fragrance pods get carpet extra fresh
- Not as flexible as some other vacuums
- Some users complain it locks up on them
2 Hoover Vacuum Cleaner T-Series WindTunnel Pet Rewind Bagless Corded Upright Vacuum
If you are looking for a balance between price and features, this machine is a good option. Hoover is known for its economy models, but lower cost does not translate into fewer features. In fact, this model offers 5 carpet height adjustments, more than any of the luxury models on the list. The cord offers a 25-foot operating radius and features a foot-activated cord rewind. The vacuum comes with various attachments, including a pet upholstery tool and a 12-inch extension wand.
Users report that the machines runs quietly and does not scare children and pets. The vacuum offers quality suction that is not too much for high-pile carpeting. The bagless design is easy to empty and the filters can be rinsed clean.
- Lots of adjustments and tools
- Easy to maneuver on high-pile carpeting
- Primarily plastic, which isn’t very durable
- Even with extension tools, the hose does not have a lot of reach
The Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional is great for homes that have a wide variety of flooring types. You can use it on everything from hardwood floor to plush carpeting, making simple adjustments to it as you go so it works well. The wheels on this vacuum are not particularly suited to high-pile carpeting. However, the lift-away feature means that you can still use it on plush carpets.
In addition to the lift-away feature, the HEPA filter makes it a good choice for high-pile carpeting. It has adjustable settings, allow you to go as gentle as needed on your flooring. This Shark vacuum comes with a 30-foot-long power cord to minimize the number of times you need to unplug and replug the machine. Finally, it comes with a wide variety of accessories, including a crevice tool, dusting brush, and pet brush. It is covered by a 1-year limited warranty, though the wording of the warranty indicates that the 1-year timeframe is just the minimum amount of time it is covered; should you experience a problem outside of this window of time, contact the company to see if it is still covered.
- Works for all types of carpeting
- Good for pet hair
- Cannot be wheeled through thick carpeting
- Many plastic parts
4 Oreck LW100 Magnesium SP Bagged Upright Vacuum
The Oreck is designed to work with all types of flooring, but tends to function best on carpeting. It is designed to be both effective and convenient for the user. The 30-foot cord means you need to unplug and replug the machine less often, making it ideal for larger spaces. The magnesium construction means that it is incredibly lightweight, and is the lightest Oreck ever made.
There are two speeds you can choose from while operating the vacuum: a high speed for short-pile carpets, hardwood, and tile, and a lower speed designed for high-pile and artisan carpets. The HEPA filter is powerful and helps to keep the air clean. And it is designed to recline to a nearly flat position to get under furniture.
- Incredibly lightweight
- Offers high-pile settings
- Can get under furniture
- Does not come with any attachments
- The brush roller does need frequent cleaning
5 Miele Complete C3 Marin Canister Vacuum Cleaner - Corded
The Miele Complete C3 Marin is a model that is quite beloved by many cleaning fanatics, especially those with pets. What makes this vacuum stand out amongst the rest is how many accessories and options it offers—giving it the “complete” in its name. Unlike many vacuums, this model from Miele allows you to store all the accessories on the body of the canister, which means they are always there when you need them.
The key accessory here is the Electro brush, which can be used on all types of flooring. It is adjustable, allowing you to accommodate the longer fibers of plush carpeting. You can also adjust the power of the suction so as to use gentle suction with plush carpeting and more powerful suction with other types of flooring; however, it should automatically adjust suction when it senses a different type of flooring. As you work, the HEPA filter filters out most dust, mold, allergens, dander, and more. It is covered by a 1-year limited warranty.
- Works on all types of flooring
- Accessories are always well within reach
- Large wheels make moving the machine easy
- The machine is a bit heavy
- Some users complain that the cord retracting mechanism breaks easily
6 Dyson 206900-01 Ball Multi Floor Upright Corded Vacuum
We noted above that Dyson vacuums can be hard to push across long-pile carpeting, and while this is true, this model is better at handling long-pile carpeting than other Dyson models. The cleaner head is self-adjusting, allowing it to handle all types of surfaces, from tile to high-pile carpeting. It comes with a HEPA filter designed to trap allergens and bacteria inside the machine.
However, the machine does fall victim to the same problems as other Dyson machines when it comes to maneuverability. The famed ball design is great on low-pile carpeting and hard surfaces, but it just doesn’t move that well on plush carpeting. Be prepared to work to move it.
- Self-adjusts setting so you don’t have to
- Filter is very powerful
- Features a hygienic system for emptying the canister.
- Hard to move on high-pile carpeting
- Suction may be too powerful for some types of high-pile carpetin
Your Step-by-Sep Guide to Carpet Cleaning
Purchasing the right vacuum is just the first step in getting clean carpeting. So, what are the next steps to have on your list?
- 1Start with a clean vacuum whenever possible. If you have a canister vacuum, empty it before every use. If you have a bagged model, make sure you are changing the bags as often as needed.
- 2Check the filter to make sure it is clean enough to work efficiently.
- 3Adjust the height of your vacuum to suit the flooring you are cleaning. The higher the carpet pile, the higher you want to set the brush. For lower pile carpeting or hardwoods, get the setting as low as is comfortable.
- 4Select the speed you need. With this option, it is the reverse of the rule for height: higher speeds are needed for low-pile carpets and hardwood or tile floors. Lower speeds are suited to high-pile carpets.
- 5Begin vacuuming in one direction. If you are vacuuming carpeting, you should notice lines forming in the carpet. Use this to guide you.
- 6Once you finish vacuuming in one direction, vacuum across the lines you have created. This ensures you are moving the carpet fibers around and getting a deep clean.
- 7Once you complete this primary cleaning, you can begin your detailed cleaning. For this, you use the specialty tools that either came with your vacuum or were purchased separately. You can use edging tools around the walls and furniture, crevice tools to get into hard-to-reach spots, and even pet tools to dig pet hair out of carpets and remove it from furniture.
- 8When finished, store the vacuum properly, as noted in the user manual.
Additional Tips and Tricks for Carpet Cleaning
While regular cleaning ensures that your carpets are mostly clean, you can get even better results by utilizing a few simple tips and tricks. To help you get the most life out of your carpet, use our tips and tricks below.
- Ban shoes from inside of your home. Much of the dirt that ultimately dulls and dirties your carpets is brought into the house on the bottom of your shoes.
- Place mats in strategic spots in you home. If you cover certain high-traffic areas with mats or runners, you allow them to take the wear and tear of the majority of foot traffic. These are more easy to replace than your carpeting and also add flare to the space.
- When you spill on carpet, do not try to dig at the spill. Instead, use a spoon to scoop the food into the middle of the stain. This prevents the stain from spreading.
- To get the spill up, once everything is in the middle of the stain, press a clean towel on top of the stain, using gentle pressure so the towel can absorb the stain. From there, you can use your carpet stain remover. Always blot the stain; never rub it.
- Speaking of carpet stain remover, be sure to test it in a small, not-so-visible area first so you can know how it interacts with your carpet.
- For stick stains, like gum in the carpeting, use an ice cube to freeze the offending material first. Then, you should be able to easily pick it out of the fibers.
- Deep clean your carpet often. A deep cleaning about once a month ensures that your carpet retains its color instead of being dulled by dirt.
You want your high-pile carpeting to remain beautiful and comfortable for as long as possible. To protect your investment, it is vital that you purchase a best vacuum designed for high-pile carpeting.
Which is best for you will vary based on your needs, but we are confident you will be happy with one of the five options above.