- 1 What Causes Some People to Wake Up With Neck Pain and Headaches?
- 2 How Do I Figure Out What Kind Of Neck Support Pillow I Need?
- 3 Our Neck Pain and Headache Pillow Reviews 2017
- 3.0.1 1) Core Products Tri-Core Cervical Pillow
- 3.0.2 2) My Pillow Premium Series Bed Pillow
- 3.0.3 3) Cabeau Evolution Memory Foam Travel Pillow - The Best Neck Pillow
- 3.0.4 4) Sleep Innovations Cool Contour Memory Foam Pillow
- 3.0.5 5) NAYOYA BACK AND NECK PAIN RELIEF - ACUPRESSURE MAT AND PILLOW SET
- 3.0.6 6) Natures Pillows Sobakawa Buckwheat Pillow
- 3.0.7 7) Restwel Bamboo Pillow Memory Foam
- 3.0.8 8) Relaxing Microwavable Neck Pillow
- 3.0.9 9) CORE PRODUCTS THERAPEUTICA SLEEPING PILLOW
- 3.0.10 10) Laniloha Best Pillow! Premium Orthopedic
- 4 Ways to Improve Your Sleep and Prevent Neck Pain and Headache
- 5 Remedies for Neck Pain and Headaches After Sleeping Wrong
- 6 Some helpful videos for NECKPAIN AND HEADACHES
- 7 Wake Up Pain Free and Refreshed!
What Causes Some People to Wake Up With Neck Pain and Headaches?
It's never a good thing to start your day with a headache or neck pain. That feeling of opening your eyes and realizing you have a throbbing head or stiff neck means a miserable morning. As soon as you pick your head up off the pillow, you grab your neck, rubbing the painful areas, while your head feels like fifty-pounds. What causes you to wake up this way? There are many possibilities, and most are not life-threatening. The simplest reason that offers the easiest fix is to buy the best pillow for neck pain and headaches.
Neck problems and headaches may be caused by sleeping in an awkward position that puts strain on your neck and spine alignment. People who wake up with bad headaches or migraines don't realize that fifty-percent of those headaches began around 4:00 am. Having a headache or neck pain that long during the time your body needs to rest means waking up with pain and feeling tired the rest of the day. We spend one-third of our lives sleeping, so not getting the proper sleep for the right amount of hours you need, leads to problems during the day and may eventually lead to health issues.
How Do I Figure Out What Kind Of Neck Support Pillow I Need?
Waking up without a headache or neck stiffness can be as easy as picking the right pillows for neck support. If your neck and head are tense while you sleep, the pressure strains your muscles and if you stay in one spot for hours, when you're sleeping, you'll face the next morning in a painful and exhausted manner. The proper pillow for you is the neck support bed pillow that works for you. So how do you choose the right pillow that provides head and neck pillow support for your needs?
The best pillow for neck support will keep your head and neck in a similar position like when you're standing. This is a neutral or a natural alignment for your spine. With the three possible sleeping positions; back sleepers, side sleepers, or stomach sleepers, the best cervical support pillow will depend on the way you sleep.
- Back Sleepers: If you sleep best on your back, you need the best pillow neck support that will contour and support your cervical spine area. You need to have enough lift under your head, neck, and shoulders, so the pillow needs to be higher than a pillow for side sleepers. A firmer pillow is also best to support your head and maintain the alignment of your spine.
- Side Sleepers: Sleeping on your side creates a situation where you need to fill in the neck area between your shoulders and head. A medium support pillow with a thicker feel will keep your head in line with your spine; like a horizontal line. But it also needs to be soft enough to give and curve to your body.
- Stomach Sleepers: People who prefer to sleep on their stomach are putting the most stress on their neck and spine. To help your body deal with this sleeping position, you want to purchase the best pillow for stomach sleepers with neck pain in the morning. This type of pillow is typically flatter than other pillows and should be softer.
- Combination Sleepers: If you tend to sleep in different positions that change through the night, you will want to buy a good orthopedic pillow for neck pain and headache that has higher areas for when you are laying on your side and lower, indented areas for when you sleep on your back. If you also sleep on your stomach, all three of these sleeping positions would benefit from a buckwheat pillow, or a cooling pillow made for night sweats that breathes and is normally filled with memory foam pieces.
Read our neck pain and headache pillow reviews to find out which pillow will work the best for you!
Our Neck Pain and Headache Pillow Reviews 2017
SHAPE & SIZE
|Core Products Tri-Core Cervical Pillow|| ||• Made for Back and Side Sleepers|
• Best for Neck Pain and Headaches
• Comes in 3 colors
|• 1.5 lbs.|
• Comes in 3 sizes: Full, Midsize, and Petite
• Cervical Ergonomics
|My Pillow Premium Series Bed Pillow|| ||• Combination Sleepers; works for all sleepers|
• Comes in 4 levels of firmness
|• 1.3 lbs.|
• Sizes are King or Queen
• Regular Pillow Shape
|Cabeau Evolution Memory Foam Travel Pillow - The Best Neck Pillow|| ||• Works for Back Sleepers|
• Great for Travel
• Packs down small• Made with Memory Foam
|• 2 lbs.|
• One size fits all
• Horseshoe Shape
|Sleep Innovations Cool Contour Memory Foam Pillow|| ||• Works for Back or Side Sleepers|
• Cooling Pillow
• Made with Memory Foam
|• 2.1 lbs.|
• Sizes are Queen or Standard
|Nayoya Back and Neck Pain Relief - Acupressure Mat and Pillow Set|| ||• Works for Back Sleepers|
• Provides acupuncture benefits
• Can use for therapy or sleeping.
|• 2 lbs.|
• One size fits all
• Rolled Pillow and Mat
|Natures Pillows Sobakawa Buckwheat Pillow|| ||• Combination Sleepers; works for all sleepers|
• Cooling Pillow
• Buckwheat Fill
|• 1 lb.|
• Standard or Jumbo
• Regular Pillow Shape
|Restwel Bamboo Pillow Memory Foam|| ||• Combination Sleepers; works for all sleepers|
• Cooling Pillow
• Made with Memory Foam
|• 2.4 lbs.|
• Sizes are King, Queen, or Standard
• Regular Pillow Shape
|Earth Therapeutics: Relaxing Microwavable Neck Pillow|| ||• Works for Back Sleepers|
• Made with herbal essences
|• 2.2 lbs.|
• One size fits all
• Horseshoe Shape
|Core Products Therapeutica Sleeping Pillow|| ||• Combination Sleepers; works for all sleepers|
• Ergonomic Design
|• 2.2 lbs.|
• One size fits all
• Special Contours
|Laniloha Best Pillow! Premium Orthopedic|| ||• Works for Side or Stomach Sleepers|
• Charcoal and Bamboo Materials
|• 3 lbs.|
• Regular Pillow Shape
1) Core Products Tri-Core Cervical Pillow
When we chose the Core Products Tri-Core Cervical Pillow as our editor's Choice, we kept in the mind the need for people to have a pillow that would allow them to wake up pain-free. Neck pain and headaches are no way to start the day, and often set the tone for feeling sluggish and tired. This fiber, good neck support pillow, is recommended the most from chiropractors and physical therapists. The three zones built-in to this pillow are meant for back and side sleepers. There is higher, relaxing side support for side sleepers, a larger head and neck support at the top for back sleepers who are larger bodied, and a smaller neck support area for back sleepers who are smaller.
The therapeutic effects of this pillow are healthy and beneficial; it provides a drug-free option for alleviating neck pain and headaches upon waking. It's also great for people with sleep apnea as we discussed in our Best Pillows for Sleep Apnea Relief article. The design allows you to sleep on your side using the support along the edges and then, if you turn to sleep on your back, the middle crevice allows your head to rest in a neutral position; much like when you are standing. This supportive pillow for neck pain is also made large enough to allow for ample room for any size neck and head. Your sleep prepares you for the day ahead. Having the right pillow that is made to alleviate neck pain and headaches will be the best pillow you ever buy!
- This cervical pillow is most recommended by chiropractors and physical therapists
- Core Products uses on the best foam products for the inside of their pillows
- A plush, stripe-patterned cover provides a luxurious look and feel
- An indented, trapezoid-shaped center provides a natural position for your head and neck
- Relieves tension in your head and neck while you sleep
- Side sleepers may find it too firm so it may push on their ear, making it sore
2) My Pillow Premium Series Bed Pillow
Yes, this top rated pillow for neck pain is the My Pillow you see advertised on TV. And from what we found out, people really do like it! The design includes choices of 4 firmness levels: the Blue level is extra firm, Green level is firm, the White level is medium, and the Yellow level is the least firmness. This allows you to use your sleep position to determine what pillow to buy. As we mentioned in the introduction, all three sleep positions do best with certain pillows.
If you're a back sleeper, you want the Blue level for the most firmness to support your neck and head, avoiding waking up with neck pain or a headache. Side sleepers would do well with the Green, firm, or White, medium level pillow. And stomach sleepers, the toughest sleep position to accommodate, should buy the Yellow level pillow, which is softer. These My Pillows are one of the best pillows for your neck and allow you to get the rest you need to recover from a busy day. And one of the best features is that you can toss the pillow in the washing machine and dryer whenever it needs cleaning or to be freshened up.
- Comes in 4 heights to fit whatever kind of sleeper you are
- Entire pillow is machine washable and dryable
- Patented 3-Piece Interlocking Fill for a custom feel
- The Open Cell Poly fill keeps your neck and head cool all night
- Has a 2-inch gusseted side height on all 4 sides
- Can be lumpy for some people
3) Cabeau Evolution Memory Foam Travel Pillow - The Best Neck Pillow
Although the Cabeau Evolution Memory Foam Travel Pillow is made with travelling in mind, it's also great for a regular, daily-use pillow. Back sleepers will love the curved horseshoe shape that holds your head and neck in a natural position; much like when you're standing. This support keeps you from kinking your neck and waking up with neck pain. It also keeps your spine aligned so you don't wake up with that throbbing headache from pressure points becoming inflamed. This travel neck pillow is made with a soft velour cover that's removable and machine washable.
The inside is filled with plush memory foam that feels like a soft cushion, but has plenty of support. The back part is lower and gives your head a place to rest without needing to adjust your position like a regular pillow. If you constantly wake up with neck aches or headaches, this neck support pillow is a great choice. Travelers will love the ability to sleep when they have to be sitting, while their head and neck are kept from leaning over. The Cabeau Travel Pillow also provides 360 degree support so no matter which way your neck or head leans; you won't end up with strained neck muscles. Made ergonomically for the most comfortable sleep!
- Although a travel pillow, this neck support pillow is great for back sleepers
- Has raised sides and a flat back for the best ergonomic support
- Removable cover is machine washable
- This travel pillow is the first of its kind to be made with high-quality memory foam
- Can be used as a seat cushion for tail-bone pain
- This pillow can cause your neck and head to be too warm
4) Sleep Innovations Cool Contour Memory Foam Pillow
Sleep Innovations presents another product with your sleep in mind. This contoured, memory foam pillow provides a healthy design that prevents your neck and head from being forced into an unnatural position. The moment you wake up and feel the neck pain or pressure of a headache, you don't even want to get out of bed. A supportive pillow, like this open cell memory foam pillow, allows you to rest deeply and wake up renewed. The top layer lets air flow around your neck and head, keeping you cool and comfortable.
A contoured pillow gives you fill under your neck so the vertebrae aren’t forced to stay at an angle, causing pressure. The higher back part of the pillow keeps your head from lying backwards and stretching your neck further. Similar to using this pillow for sleep apnea relief, your body is allowed to rest uninhibited by wrong positions. These factors are key to preventing neck pain and headaches. And memory foam increases circulation to reduce tossing and turning. Along with a natural cooling ability, this pillow is a great option for the rest you need!
- Wake up refreshed and free of neck pain and headaches
- This neck pain and headache pillow is great for side and back sleepers
- Designed for the most therapeutic support
- Stay cool while you sleep with this memory foam contour pillow
- Top of pillow is made with open-cell memory foam that adapts to your body contour
- Can be too firm for some people
5) NAYOYA BACK AND NECK PAIN RELIEF - ACUPRESSURE MAT AND PILLOW SET
This unique acupressure mat and pillow set is made for two purposes; as a temporary in-home acupressure treatment to relieve neck and back pain, or to sleep with each night, enjoying the benefits of acupressure as you sleep! Muscles spasms, sciatica, and tension all lead to tightness in your body that doesn't get relief with traditional pillows. The Nayoya Back and Neck Pain relief pillow is like having an acupuncturist in your home whenever you need a therapeutic treatment. Alternative medicine has been touted to have natural healing abilities to heal the body without medications. Use this rolled pillow and mat for a twenty-minute treatment at home when you feel pain and pressure in your neck and back, or as a nightly supportive neck pillow that uses thousands of acupressure points to increase blood flow and relieve tension.
The rolled neck pillow is meant for back sleepers and can be used without the mat for sleeping. Its best results come when used alone instead of being propped up on a standard pillow. Neck pain and tension headaches are gone when you sleep with this rounded pillow that has 1,782 acupressure points made with sharp plastic acupoints. These tiny non-invasive tips get in between your neck, shoulders, and head to gently increase blood flow to tired muscles and ligaments. It's an acupuncture treatment at Home!
- This mat and pillow provides back and neck pain relief in as little as 20 minutes per day
- Can sleep on your back with both the pillow and the mat for a therapeutic rest
- Works like acupuncture without the needles using tiny little sharp plastic acupoints
- Pillow and mat can be used together or separate
- The acupressure points increase circulation to relieve sore muscles in your neck
- Some people find the plastic acupoints a bit too hard
6) Natures Pillows Sobakawa Buckwheat Pillow
Buckwheat hulls have long been used for the best neck pain relief pillows for a completely restorative sleep. The hulls, although they sound hard, are the outside of the actual buckwheat kernel and when thousands of them are gathered together in a pillow, it makes for one of the best head support pillows to prevent neck pain and headaches. Your head and neck lay on this pillow that gives way to whatever shape your body has and makes a comfortable cradle for you to sleep on.
As you move around during the night, the hulls adapt and move with you so you're always in the best position. As with all buckwheat hull pillows, the natural air flow keeps you cool and comfortable. And they make a great tension headache pillow so you can wake up assured to be pain free from neck pain and headaches.
- The 100% buckwheat hulls filling molds to your neck and head
- Cover is made from 100% cotton
- The support from the hulls prevents headache, irritability, stiff neck, and sluggishness
- Most customizable support for a pillow
- Airy and cool to keep you from overheating during the night
- Standard size is smaller than a standard pillow
7) Restwel Bamboo Pillow Memory Foam
Restwel created this Bamboo pillow so you can sleep better and know you're getting the right support to relieve migraine headaches and neck pain! The insides of this migraine relief pillow are made with the highest quality hypoallergenic memory foam, chosen for its ability to stay fluffy for years of use. Lay your head down on this cool and airy pillow so you can fall asleep peacefully, knowing you'll wake up pain free and ready to face your day.
The right combination of memory foam with the bamboo fabric outer case is a natural solution to stuffy, bunched up regular pillows that flatten out after little use. Bamboo naturally wicks away moisture, keeping you cool, while the design of this neck and shoulder support pillow gives you the sleep you need and lets you wake up feeling rested and energized. And the bamboo fibers used to create the cover is anti-dust, anti-bacterial and allergen free!
- High-quality hypoallergenic memory foam inside stays fluffy for years
- Helps you fall asleep fast and wakeup without neck pain or headaches
- Cool and airy to keep your neck and head from sweating
- No more folding regular pillows or bunching them up when you're a side sleeper
- Best fluffiness and support without being hard or too firm.
- Some people find this pillow has a strong smell that lasts a long time
8) Relaxing Microwavable Neck Pillow
Whether you use this pillow for warm relief from a sore neck, or you sleep with its soft, comfortable shape supporting your neck, you'll love the ergonomic design that wraps around your neck with an anti-stress benefit. This neck pain pillow is calming and relaxing, created with a blend of citrus, chamomile, and lavender essences that relax your tired neck and shoulder muscles and provide a balmy aroma to promote sleep.
Earth Therapeutics created this relaxing pillow so you can pop it in the microwave and heat it up to enjoy the extra benefits of a warm compress. Use it during the day for a break from tension or use it on top of your regular pillow when you go to bed for a gentle, sleep promoting remedy. The ergonomic design and soft outside will drape around your neck, embracing your sore muscles. It's a great anti-stress pillow to allow you a restorative sleep and a morning without neck pain or headaches.
- Made with non-toxic and hypoallergenic materials
- Gently scented with natural lavender, chamomile, and citrus
- This neck support pillow is perfect for sleeping or when traveling
- Pillow can be micro-waved for extra soothing warmth
- Cover is machine washable
- When micro-waved may become too moist
9) CORE PRODUCTS THERAPEUTICA SLEEPING PILLOW
Core Products went all out with the design of their Therapeutica Sleeping Pillow. The strange shape may take you back for a minute, until you learn about its design. Using an ergonomic Designer along with a Chiropractor, Core Products created this multi-sleeping position pillow with spinal alignment in mind. Good, deep sleep is dependent on the proper spinal alignment to promote relaxed muscles and good circulation. The ergonomic design of this neck pain relief pillow gives your upper body stability no matter what position you prefer to sleep in.
Core Products provides five sizes so you can choose the right fit for your body type and the zippered pillow cover is machine washable, made of a polyester and cotton blend. The smaller sizes; Child, Petite, and Average fit into a standard pillow case for extra protection from stains. The Large and X-Large require a king size pillow case. As with all Core Products pillows, the materials used are allergen free, non-toxic, and they use a high-grade foam for the inside.
- The shape of this neck pain pillow offers custom, therapeutic sleep positioning
- Inside is made from hypoallergenic foam
- The odd shape was actually created by an Ergonomic Designer and Chiropractor
- Zippered, removable cover is machine washable
- The average, petite, and child sizes fit in a standard pillow case
- May not be comfortable for people who move around while they sleep
10) Laniloha Best Pillow! Premium Orthopedic
This unique, charcoal and bamboo memory foam pillow made by Laniloha, is a great neck pain relief pillow that allows you to wake up without that tension headache from a regular pillow. The plush bamboo fabric cover keeps you cooler than regular fabrics and its anti-bacterial properties and natural moisture wicking ability keeps your skin dry and cool. Inside, charcoal memory foam that includes trace elements and minerals like potassium, sodium, iron, calcium, and more, provides natural benefits you can feel and breathe in for your health.
Carbon, granular activated carbon, works to deodorize and purify the air you breathe as you lay your head on this neck support pillow. Carbon removes odors and moisture to keep you fresh and dry, promoting better sleep. Laniloha uses solid core memory foam inside to keep you from tossing and turning to find a good position for your head and neck. Although it may look like the pillow sits high, when you lay your head on it, you'll sink into a heavenly night's sleep with this luxurious head and neck pillow.
- Made with purifying charcoal and bamboo materials
- Inside filled with high-density, charcoal, memory foam.
- Relieves pressure points and encourages blood circulation in your neck and head
- This pillow works well for side and stomach sleepers
- The combination of charcoal and bamboo acts to deodorize and purify air
- Pillow doesn't have enough height for some sleepers
Ways to Improve Your Sleep and Prevent Neck Pain and Headache
Our sleep habits are established early in life. But the best positions for sleep are on your side or back. When you're a back sleeper, you want to keep your shoulders and neck supported evenly; being sure you're lying flat and not with one side higher than the other. Memory foam pillows help to improve spinal alignment because they can mold to your body curves. If your pillow is too stiff and keeps your head higher than your neck, you'll flex your neck muscles, preventing them from resting. This leads to neck pain and headaches when you wake up.
Sleeping on your side requires a higher pillow under your neck area to once again keep the head and neck in a level position. This keeps your spine aligned properly and avoids muscle strain. The key is to sleep in a way that slows your body to totally relax and heal from the busy day. Sleeping on your stomach puts the most pressure on your neck and spine by overstretching muscles and ligaments, which prevents rest and relaxation during the night. Choose a good pillow if you're a stomach sleeper that gives you good support, or try training yourself to sleep on your back or side by the type of pillow you purchase.
Remedies for Neck Pain and Headaches After Sleeping Wrong
If you wake up with neck pain and/or a headache, you won’t even want to lift your head from your pillow! But when you do, there are some good ways to relieve the pain. Your pain and headache are caused by tightened and kinked muscles. Even your scalp can become stretched and irritated. Try some of these exercises and ideas to alleviate the pain:
- Stand with your shoulders relaxed and feet in a normal position. Slowly, very slowly, rotate your head in a circle leaning it back, to the sides, and forward in order to stretch the muscles that are tight.
- Stretch your shoulders by rolling them forward and backwards 10 times
- Touch each ear to your shoulder 10 times on each side
- Take a hot shower; you can even do these exercises in the shower
- Apply an ice pack or heat pack; use whichever one works for you
- Have someone massage your neck or use a Shiatsu Massager
Be sure to make your movements slow and even; jerky movements will make your muscles worse. Stop when it hurts and pay attention to any stretching that feels too tight.
Some helpful videos for NECKPAIN AND HEADACHES
Wake Up Pain Free and Refreshed!
Your pillow isn’t just an accessory like a decorative pillow on your couch. The pillow you lay your head on each night is an integral part of good sleep habits and leads to good health when you choose the right one. Migraines and neck pain are common to almost all people after they sit at a desk staring into a computer screen, or haul heavy lumber at a construction site. No matter what occupation you're in, or even if you're a stay-at-home mom raising children, you must have a great pillow to relieve neck pain and headache tension. Sleep is not an optional luxury: It's a life-time necessity you can't do without. Be sure to read through our reviews and then click on the links for more information. Then, buy the best pillow for neck pain and headache relief so you can begin healthier sleep habits now!