It's never a good thing to start your day with a headache or neck pain. That feeling of opening your eyes and realizing you have a throbbing head or stiff neck means a miserable morning. As soon as you pick your head up off the pillow, you grab your neck, rubbing the painful areas, while your head feels like fifty-pounds. What causes you to wake up this way? There are many possibilities, and most are not life-threatening. The simplest reason that offers the easiest fix is to buy the best pillow for neck pain and headaches.
Neck problems and headaches may be caused by sleeping in an awkward position that puts strain on your neck and spine alignment. People who wake up with bad headaches or migraines don't realize that fifty-percent of those headaches began around 4:00 am. Having a headache or neck pain that long during the time your body needs to rest means waking up with pain and feeling tired the rest of the day. We spend one-third of our lives sleeping, so not getting the proper sleep for the right amount of hours you need, leads to problems during the day and may eventually lead to health issues.
- How Do I Figure Out What Kind Of Neck Support Pillow I Need?
- Best Neck Pain and Headache Pillow Reviews 2018 -Comparison table
- 1 Core Products Tri-Core Cervical Pillow
- 2 My Pillow Premium Series Bed Pillow
- 3 Cabeau Evolution Memory Foam Travel Pillow - The Best Neck Pillow
- 4 Sleep Innovations Cool Contour Memory Foam Pillow
- 5 Nayoya Back and Neck Pain Relief - Acupressure Mat and Pillow Set
- 6 Natures Pillows Sobakawa Buckwheat Pillow
- 7 Core Products Therapeutica Sleeping Pillow
- 8 Restwel Bamboo Pillow Memory Foam
- 9 Relaxing Microwavable Neck Pillow
- 10 Laniloha Best Pillow! Premium Orthopedic
- Ways to Improve Your Sleep and Prevent Neck Pain and Headache
- Remedies for Neck Pain and Headaches After Sleeping Wrong
- Some helpful videos for NECKPAIN AND HEADACHES
- Wake Up Pain Free and Refreshed!
How Do I Figure Out What Kind Of Neck Support Pillow I Need?
Waking up without a headache or neck stiffness can be as easy as picking the right pillows for neck support. If your neck and head are tense while you sleep, the pressure strains your muscles and if you stay in one spot for hours, when you're sleeping, you'll face the next morning in a painful and exhausted manner. The proper pillow for you is the neck support bed pillow that works for you. So how do you choose the right pillow that provides head and neck pillow support for your needs?
The best pillow for neck support will keep your head and neck in a similar position like when you're standing. This is a neutral or a natural alignment for your spine. With the three possible sleeping positions; back sleepers, side sleepers, or stomach sleepers, the best cervical support pillow will depend on the way you sleep.
- Back Sleepers: If you sleep best on your back, you need the best pillow neck support that will contour and support your cervical spine area. You need to have enough lift under your head, neck, and shoulders, so the pillow needs to be higher than a pillow for side sleepers. A firmer pillow is also best to support your head and maintain the alignment of your spine.
- Side Sleepers: Sleeping on your side creates a situation where you need to fill in the neck area between your shoulders and head. A medium support pillow with a thicker feel will keep your head in line with your spine; like a horizontal line. But it also needs to be soft enough to give and curve to your body.
- Stomach Sleepers: People who prefer to sleep on their stomach are putting the most stress on their neck and spine. To help your body deal with this sleeping position, you want to purchase the best pillow for stomach sleepers with neck pain in the morning. This type of pillow is typically flatter than other pillows and should be softer.
- Combination Sleepers: If you tend to sleep in different positions that change through the night, you will want to buy a good orthopedic pillow for neck pain and headache that has higher areas for when you are laying on your side and lower, indented areas for when you sleep on your back. If you also sleep on your stomach, all three of these sleeping positions would benefit from a buckwheat pillow, or a cooling pillow made for night sweats that breathes and is normally filled with memory foam pieces.
Read our neck pain and headache pillow reviews to find out which pillow will work the best for you!
Best Neck Pain and Headache Pillow Reviews 2018 -Comparison table
SHAPE & SIZE
|Core Products Tri-Core Cervical Pillow|| ||• Made for Back and Side Sleepers|
• Best for Neck Pain and Headaches
• Comes in 3 colors
|• 1.5 lbs.|
• Comes in 3 sizes: Full, Midsize, and Petite
• Cervical Ergonomics
|My Pillow Premium Series Bed Pillow|| ||• Combination Sleepers; works for all sleepers|
• Comes in 4 levels of firmness
|• 1.3 lbs.|
• Sizes are King or Queen
• Regular Pillow Shape
|Cabeau Evolution Memory Foam Travel Pillow - The Best Neck Pillow|| ||• Works for Back Sleepers|
• Great for Travel
• Packs down small• Made with Memory Foam
|• 2 lbs.|
• One size fits all
• Horseshoe Shape
|Sleep Innovations Cool Contour Memory Foam Pillow|| ||• Works for Back or Side Sleepers|
• Cooling Pillow
• Made with Memory Foam
|• 2.1 lbs.|
• Sizes are Queen or Standard
|Nayoya Back and Neck Pain Relief - Acupressure Mat and Pillow Set|| ||• Works for Back Sleepers|
• Provides acupuncture benefits
• Can use for therapy or sleeping.
|• 2 lbs.|
• One size fits all
• Rolled Pillow and Mat
|Natures Pillows Sobakawa Buckwheat Pillow|| ||• Combination Sleepers; works for all sleepers|
• Cooling Pillow
• Buckwheat Fill
|• 1 lb.|
• Standard or Jumbo
• Regular Pillow Shape
|Core Products Therapeutica Sleeping Pillow|| ||• Combination Sleepers; works for all sleepers|
• Ergonomic Design
|• 2.2 lbs.|
• One size fits all
• Special Contours
Ways to Improve Your Sleep and Prevent Neck Pain and Headache
Our sleep habits are established early in life. But the best positions for sleep are on your side or back. When you're a back sleeper, you want to keep your shoulders and neck supported evenly; being sure you're lying flat and not with one side higher than the other. Memory foam pillows help to improve spinal alignment because they can mold to your body curves. If your pillow is too stiff and keeps your head higher than your neck, you'll flex your neck muscles, preventing them from resting. This leads to neck pain and headaches when you wake up.
Sleeping on your side requires a higher pillow under your neck area to once again keep the head and neck in a level position. This keeps your spine aligned properly and avoids muscle strain. The key is to sleep in a way that slows your body to totally relax and heal from the busy day. Sleeping on your stomach puts the most pressure on your neck and spine by overstretching muscles and ligaments, which prevents rest and relaxation during the night. Choose a good pillow if you're a stomach sleeper that gives you good support, or try training yourself to sleep on your back or side by the type of pillow you purchase.
Remedies for Neck Pain and Headaches After Sleeping Wrong
If you wake up with neck pain and/or a headache, you won’t even want to lift your head from your pillow! But when you do, there are some good ways to relieve the pain. Your pain and headache are caused by tightened and kinked muscles. Even your scalp can become stretched and irritated. Try some of these exercises and ideas to alleviate the pain:
- Stand with your shoulders relaxed and feet in a normal position. Slowly, very slowly, rotate your head in a circle leaning it back, to the sides, and forward in order to stretch the muscles that are tight.
- Stretch your shoulders by rolling them forward and backwards 10 times
- Touch each ear to your shoulder 10 times on each side
- Take a hot shower; you can even do these exercises in the shower
- Apply an ice pack or heat pack; use whichever one works for you
- Have someone massage your neck or use a Shiatsu Massager
Be sure to make your movements slow and even; jerky movements will make your muscles worse. Stop when it hurts and pay attention to any stretching that feels too tight.
Some helpful videos for NECKPAIN AND HEADACHES
Wake Up Pain Free and Refreshed!
Your pillow isn’t just an accessory like a decorative pillow on your couch. The pillow you lay your head on each night is an integral part of good sleep habits and leads to good health when you choose the right one. Migraines and neck pain are common to almost all people after they sit at a desk staring into a computer screen, or haul heavy lumber at a construction site. No matter what occupation you're in, or even if you're a stay-at-home mom raising children, you must have a great pillow to relieve neck pain and headache tension. Sleep is not an optional luxury: It's a life-time necessity you can't do without. Be sure to read through our reviews and then click on the links for more information. Then, buy the best pillow for neck pain and headache relief so you can begin healthier sleep habits now!