High tech cooling pillows are trendy these days. Every time you turn on the radio, walk through the mall or sign onto Facebook, someone is promoting a comfortable pillow that keeps your hot noggin cool throughout the night.
The best cooling pillows do make a huge difference. Sorting through all of the marketing gimmicks, unknown brand names, and discounts can be discouraging. We’re here to help you sort through the gimmicks and find the right product for you and your sleeping style.
Don’t worry. The best cooling pillow for you is right around the corner.
- COMPARISON TABLE
- DO YOU OR YOUR LOVED ONE SUFFER FROM HOT HEAD?
- HOW THE BEST COOLING PILLOWS WORK TO KEEP YOU COMFY ALL NIGHT
- WHAT IS THIS “PILLOW LOFT” I KEEP HEARING ABOUT?
- THE BEST COOLING PILLOW IS THE ONE YOU NEVER NOTICE
DO YOU OR YOUR LOVED ONE SUFFER FROM HOT HEAD?
The best cooling pillow will help you fight off Hot Head Syndrome. What is Hot Head Syndrome?
Putting aside the fact that I made up the name, Hot Head Syndrome is waking up in the middle night to adjust your position only to find out your pillow is soaked in sweat. Gross, I know. Gross and unpleasant to discuss. However, you can’t change what you don’t acknowledge.
Hot Head is very common, which is precisely why anyone with some memory foam and a sewing machine is developing a pillow that keeps your head cool throughout the night. There is an entire industry built around keeping our heads cool throughout the night. Waking up to a damp pillow is annoying, and a less than ideal situation to quickly fall back asleep.
HOW THE BEST COOLING PILLOWS WORK TO KEEP YOU COMFY ALL NIGHT
Ordinary pillows trap body heat in the stuffing, and that effect causes your body to react. The result is a sweaty
head. If you live in a hot, humid environment, then it just gets worse.
Many people began experiencing this sweaty side effect after purchasing memory foam pillows because they liked their memory foam mattresses so much. Many memory foam products trap heat, and that is counterproductive.
The best cooling pillows either absorb heat and keep it away from your skin or allow for air to circulate through the fill, dispersing the heat naturally.
Some cooling pillows used advanced technology like special gels or PCM cooling beads to combat the heat that can get trapped in your pillow.
No matter how it works to deliver a cool, comfortable place to rest your head throughout the night, as long as it gets the job done, we’re happy.
WHAT IS THIS “PILLOW LOFT” I KEEP HEARING ABOUT?
The best cooling pillow brings you comfort and support, simultaneously.
A great pillow allows you to get fantastic sleep and alleviates issues like shoulder and neck stiffness, as well as tension headaches caused by the discomfort throughout the night.
Loft is a marketing term and industry speak for height. “Pillow loft” refers to the height of your pillow. “Loft” and “height” are interchangeable when discussing the features of pillows.
Sometimes, “profile” is a term used in place of “loft."
Generally speaking, the terminology follows these product specifications:
1. MALOUF TRAVEL PILLOW
- Compressible design allows for convenient travel or use as a neck roll pillow
- Open cell technology yields maximum resiliency and longevity
- Correctly aligns your spine by supporting the natural curves of your head, neck and shoulders
Many professionals depend on getting some beneficial sleep while traveling for business purposes. We thought it best to include a travel pillow in our selections.
Even if you are fortunate to travel business class, airline seats are not what they used to be.
Any opportunity you can take to be well rested for your out-of-town assignment should be a priority.
For a price tag of just $24.95, you can’t beat this combination memory foam and cooling gel travel pillow from MALOUF.
This travel pillow keeps you cool and comfortable whether you are on a long international flight or gate hopping. The DOUGH memory foam and Z Gel work together to provide you soothing comfort in any situation.
The Z GelA surface absorbs and distributes heat.
The DOUGH Memory Foam allows for a perfect fit no matter how cramped that middle seat is.
The super-soft velour cover made of rayon from bamboo is removable for easy washing.
- Cover: 75% polyester. 25% rayon from bamboo
- Reversible: 32% gel polyurethane foam, 68% polyurethane foam.
Tamimp said it best in her Amazon review, when she exclaimed, “I love this pillow!! I am also a pillow snob and…I have some minor neck issues, and this pillow is amazing. There's no doubt Z Malouf pillows are the best of the best…I sleep with the travel pillow almost every night.”
2. XTREME COMFORT’S LUXURY PLUSH GEL INFUSED FIBER FILLED PILLOW
- XTREME COMFORTS UTILIZES SCIENCE TO ACHIEVE TWICE THE COOLING POWER OF OTHER GEL FIBER BED PILLOWS! Our scientific PCM...
- THIS PCM TECHNOLOGY ACTUALLY DRAWS HEAT FROM YOUR BODY and releases it to lower temperatures to keep both you and your...
- TO ENHANCE COOLING, WE ADDED OUR PROPRIETARY BLEND of soft cooling gel fiber filling which allows maximum air...
This is a serious pillow for some serious shuteye.
This pillow from Xtreme Comfort utilizes PCM micro-encapsulated fibers in the cover. Phase Change Material (PCM) is a substance capable of storing and releasing large amounts of energy. Heat is absorbed or released when the material changes from solid to liquid and vice versa
If you get hot during deep sleep, the micro-encapsulated fibers inside the Xtreme pillow absorb and store the heat from your body. This action prevents you from starting to sweat and waking up with a stacked pillow.
Just as it absorbed body heat, the pillow helps to maintain a steady body temperature by releasing heat as you cool down.
All of this work takes place while you are enjoying optimum sleep.
You sleep, the Xtreme pillow does the rest (pardon the pun).
The plush Cool-X cover is very comfortable. It will remind you of the kind of pillow covers in luxury hotels and spas.
Additionally, you may take advantage of the highly adjustable thickness. You will be able to get the fit perfect for your sleeping style. This ability makes this pillow great for side, back, or stomach sleepers. Your head and neck will be supported throughout the night, even as you change positions.
This cooling pillow from Xtreme Comfort is a good option for snorers and people who do a lot of tossing and turning throughout the night.
The zipper cover is hypoallergenic and machine washable.
Finally, you’ll be pleased to know that this product is made right here in the USA.
Usually, this pillow retails for over $$
3. THE LAYLA SLEEP PILLOW: KAPOK AND COPPER
- COMFORT THAT COOLS:Resting your head on Kapok fibers is like laying down on a plush, airy cloud. Kapok is softer and...
- COPPER INFUSED COVER:The Layla Pillow cover is woven with CuTEC, a copper infused yarn. Why? CuTEC is widely used in...
- 100% NATURAL FILL: Kapok fill is made from fibers found in the seed pods of Kapok Trees. We use Kapok because it’s...
This pillow is a super plush, environmentally friendly cooling pillow that offers support for a great night’s sleep
The Layla Sleep Pillow is a great buy for under $100. Also, the company offers a 120-day trial. That’s correct. You can have this pillow for up to 4 months.
If you aren’t satisfied, you return it for a full refund. That’s a company that believes in their product.
The pillow is completely hypoallergenic, and CertiPur-US certified.
Two features of this cooling pillow from Kayla that you need to consider is the Kapok fill used and the copper woven into the pillow cover.
The Benefits of the Kapok Fiber Fill
Kapok comes from Kapok trees. Kapok is entirely natural and free from harmful pesticides, or other mass crop chemicals. If you are a supporter of organizations like TA, you can still enjoy the “down feel” without harming any birds.
The fill of this pillow from Layla comes from the tiny fibers that come from the seeds pods of the Kapok trees. It is a very environmentally friendly product.
Are you a fan of wool or cotton fill? Kapok is super airy and soft, and provides more loft than wool or cotton.
The designers of the Layla pillow combined the Kapok fiber with a premium, reactive memory foam. As a result, you get a plush pillow with excellent support.
The Integrated Copper Promotes a Cool Surface and Better Rest
There are several reasons that the Layla pillow cover is woven with copper:
- The copper fibers efficiently dissipate your body heat keeping you cool.
- The positive ions released by the copper are thought to promote wellness.
- Copper is antibacterial and anti-viral.
- The square design is versatile and good for back sleepers, side
sleepers, and people who are most comfortable lying on their stomach.
4. CLASSIC BRANDS REVERSIBLE COOL GEL AND MEMORY FOAM DOUBLE-SIDED PILLOW
- Foam constrution provides superior pressure relief
- Tailored knit fabric covering enables airflow for a cooler surface and is machine washable
- Ventilated memory foam allows greater airflow for cooler sleep
This cooling pillow from Classic Brands combines memory foam and a cooling gel layer for excellent results.
The open cell memory foam is very porous compared to other memory foams you might have experienced. This design allows for air to flow throughout the memory foam much more efficiently.
When the air isn’t trapped under your head, your body isn’t trying to compensate for the high temperature.
Classic Brands Cool Gel ensures a cool surface for resting your head. The gel absorbs and dissipates the heat generated by your body.
Finally, this pillow features a knitted cover. The knitted cover is a thoughtful addition that promotes breathability across the surface. It is another feature of this pillow working to keep you cool and comfortable throughout the night.
The following are a few features we want to point out as well:
- 5-inch loft: This pillow adapts well to either back or side sleepers. The “5-inch loft” is a very versatile height.
- Product dimensions: 16 L x 24 W x 5 inches H
- Reversible: For warmer nights, utilize the cool gel layer. For colder nights, flip the pillow and the memory foam provides warm support.
- Knit Cover: The hypoallergenic, knit cover can be easily removed and is machine-washable.
- Comfort: Memory Foam Side has a medium-plush feel. Cool gel side has a medium firm feel.
5. COMFORT & RELAX VENTILATED MEMORY FOAM BED PILLOW WITH AIRCELL TECHNOLOGY
- Preserved real flower in rich color. Wonderful flower arrangement looks fresh and natural. Flower head diameter about...
- Each bundle has 50 stems. Measures in between 15" to 18"。This is a natural mini flower, please carefully look at its...
- Natural bouquet brings romantic feeling for your life, surprise your friends on afternoon tea table, show your real...
The best cooling pillow will deliver both comfort and support. If you are looking for a pillow that you will think about when you are away from home, this is it.
If cool, textured comfort is your thing. The Comfort and Relax Ventilated Memory Foam Pillow will speak to your sleeping style.
One side of the pillow is 50% polyester and 50% is fabric. This fabric combination is unbelievably silky and soft to the touch.
The material on the other side of the pillow is made from 35% tense and 65% polyester for wintery weather. The inner cover is made of jersey fabric and adds even more breathability.
The prominent feature of this pillow is the Ventilated Air Cell Gel-infused Technology. This technology promotes deep breathing which enhances your sleep quality, and keeps your head and neck cool while you take advantage of REM cycles.
The case has a convenient zipper, so you can easily remove the cover to wash it.
Other essential product features that make this pillow a great purchase are:
- The foam inside this pillow is CertiPUR-US certified for safety and performance. There are no toxic ingredients such as methane chloride, formaldehyde, or PBDE used in the manufacturing of this product.
- This pillow is hypoallergenic and discourages dust mites and other bacteria.
- The square design is versatile and good for back sleepers, side sleepers, and people who are most comfortable lying on their stomach.
Amazon customer Merry Jo wrote, “The perfect pillow is the one that you never notice. It's a Goldilocks thing: not too hard or soft, thick or thin. This one ticks all those boxes for me. From the moment I lay down, I just don't really think about my pillow again.
I sleep on both sides and my stomach. It works in all those positions. It's the first pillow I've had that is comfortable when I stick my arm under it. When I pull it around my shoulders, it doesn't put undue pressure anywhere. My ear never feels squished.”
THE BEST COOLING PILLOW IS THE ONE YOU NEVER NOTICE
If you get overheated while you are sleeping, your body releases sweat to cool you off. That makes for a humid environment around your body and interferes with your rest. You wake up, and frustration takes over.
If you’ve spent any time in the market looking for a reliable cooling pillow (or “chillows”), you can come away confused and discouraged.
Cooling pillows are available in every style possible and made with a variety of strangely named materials.
No matter what pillow you choose, you are looking for a product that effectively moves your body heat away from your skin. You want a cushion that holds its shape throughout the night and doesn’t fall flat.
Don’t suffer from “hot noggin” any longer than necessary. Check out our recommendations, and get the sleep you deserve.